Saturday, November 11, 2006

Back from the Smoke

It's been a trying few days chez Douglas.

First off, we have gardeners in digging up the Paschendale-themed diaster
area which is our back garden and replacing it with slabbed paving
(Marketstone from Stonemarket for those interesetd, and very pleasing on the
eye it is too). This involved having both our front and back doors open all
day as wheelbarrows full of sand were pushed hither and yon, with the
knock-on effect that Sandy, our somewhat boisterous Retriever, has had to be
locked in the living room for most of the day.

Secondly, J has been away to London for her annual trip with her mum and our
girl, leaving me with the two boys. Luckily the eldest is at school most of
the day and can go to after school club thereafter, but the little 'un is
still at nursery and therefore needs watching in the afternoon, meaning I've
been taking half days at work. I still managed to forget to bath them for three days though.*

Thirdly, I still have the chocolate business to run on top of that. This
task is hampered to a great extent by the fact that the printing of said
chocolate is done in the world's biggest workshop at the back of our garden
- and there are gardeners and dirt and the like between me and it.

Fourthly, I discovered on Tuesday night that heating a two day old
MacDonalds which had been left in the fridge in the microwave is *not* the
same as cooking silverside slowly in an oven and so I spent most of
Wednesday feeling quite unwell.

On the plus side, J brought the boys back a Talking Attack
Cybertrooper each, amongst other things (which should default to me when they
grow out of Who) and me a copy of Oblivion, the third volume of the 8th
Doctor comic strips**

And she brought herself and my girl back safely as well which was (if I may
get a little soft and non-Scottish sounding for a second) the best thing of
all, since I missed them both millions.




* Baths were, I'm sure, considerably less common when I was eight, mind - so
did we all stink in the early seventies or was dirt more fragrant back then?

** Nowhere near as good as the Tom Baker and Davison strips***, I might add.

*** Why no collected McCoy strips so far, I wonder?

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

9 Comments:

Blogger Scott Liddell said...

We stunk. In fact, you still do...

7:14 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

And yet the girls still flocked round me like mothd to a flame. In fact, they still do...

9:03 pm  
Blogger Scott Liddell said...

Fag hags :-)

( I just keep getting funnier )

10:46 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

Scott: "I just keep getting funnier"

...and older, fatter and balder too.

11:14 pm  
Blogger Mark Clapham said...

The skipping of the Colin and Sylvester strips to go straight to the McGann ones is a poor one, I feel. It's hard to see a justification beyond 'we made these ones'.

Mark

12:49 am  
Blogger TimeWarden said...

Your boys might take after their dad and "Doctor Who" become a lifelong passion, in which case they'll probably want to keep their Cybertroopers! :)

8:46 pm  
Blogger SAF said...

Becoming lifetime fans of Doctor Who is one thing. Forgetting to bath, that's just medieval. ;)

9:46 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

Mark: "It's hard to see a justification beyond 'we made these ones'. "

How do you mean? Who wrote the Colin and Sylv strips then?

10:58 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

SAF: "Forgetting to bath, that's just medieval. ;)"

Well I try to blame them for forgetting, but they're 4 and 8 so it's diffcult to get it to stick :)

10:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home