Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday morning, praise the dawning

To anyone reading this I give fair warning - this isn't about old tv, science fiction or books I've read, and hence will be of interest to almost no-one*.

On Sunday morning I got up at the ridiculous hour of 8am in order to go with Alex to see Jacqueline Wilson at the Edinburgh Book Festival.

As I generally get about four hours sleep a night during the week and make up for it by sleeping in until 10 at the weekend, this counts as a major sacrifice, but you know how it is - when I'm old and wetting myself and under the impression I'm the Emperor of all France, I'm hoping she'll take me in rather than dump me in some home run by a Nurse Ratched-a-like.

It was entirely worth it though. Alex was enormously excited at (a) being in the audience for the first ever reading of 'Kiss', the new JW novel, (b) the thought of all the new books she was bound to score in the bookshop later and (c) actually getting to meet the author in person. As she tends to do in such situations, she rabbited on like a mad thing as we waited in the glorious morning sunshine for a signature on 'Jackie Daydream' and we talked about books and authors and similar stuff for a surprisingly quick hour and a half.

Anyhow, Jacqueline Wilson was great - funny, enthusiastic, interesting and friendly, even after hours sitting in the signing snug.

She had massive silver rings on each finger (as she always does, apparently) and silver shoes and looked for all the world as I imagine Jo Grant would look thirty years on.**

There should be a law, in fact: all authors should look and act like Jacqueline Wilson.

All in all, it was lovely, frankly - quite the best morning I've spent in a long time.


* Assuming that posts on those subjects interest anyone either.
** There you go - a Dr Who link. I can't help myself.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you and Alex had a good time. She is so like you.....which is a good thing

7:16 pm  
Blogger SAF said...

Hey, I can do funny, enthusiastic, interesting and friendly, but the chances of my physically resembling Jacqueline Wilson are poor at best.

11:42 am  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

Give it time - she is in her sixties after all. There's plenty of time for you to acquire a bit of style :)

12:23 pm  
Blogger SAF said...

Stuart: "There's plenty of time for you to acquire a bit of style :)"

Me? Style? That's an even longer shot, I fear. :)

4:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home