Wednesday, May 25, 2005

So many books, so little time

The other day I spent a few hours bargain book hunting, and picked up a pile of books I'd been after for a while on eBay and in Edinburgh's various secondhand bookshops. Highlights included Ken MacLeod's first novel, Star Fraction for 50 pence, 13 Buffy/Angel novels for £2, David Hughes But for Bunter for a similar amount and a brand new copy of Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K LeGuin to replace my completely battered and torn schoolboy copy.

The problem, though, is that whilst the MacLeod is being read almost as we speak and will then be put beside the rest of his novels on a bookshelf, the rest have been pushed onto the 'to be read' pile. And, frankly, that pile has metamorphosed into a collection of stacks, rows, heaps and mounds which is in grave danger of taking over every free space in the house and causing J - who has the patience of a saint generally - to kill me and bury my dismembered corpse in the back garden in KFC buckets.

Just by looking round I can see the following books waiting to be read:

Lost in a Good Book - Jasper Fforde
But for Bunter - David Hughes
The Monsters Inside - Steven Cole
Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
All Under Heaven - A Complete History Of China - Rayne Kruger
The Clockwork Woman - Claire Bott
Seven Deadly Sins - David Bailey (ed)
Millenium - Felipe Fernandez-Arnesto (actually I'm about half way through that)
Something More - Paul Cornell
Varjak Paw - SF Said (which I promised my daughter I'd read)
The House of Doctor Dee - Peter Ackroyd
A pile of Dr Who books which I haven't put away yet

- and that's only those books I can see from here. I'll have to start reading faster...
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home